Brief Services – Foundational Principles and Therapeutic Approaches
Welcome! You are currently on the course homepage. This online course is divided into six modules:
- Introduction to Brief Services: The philosophy, guiding assumptions and operating principles
- Therapeutic Posture in Brief Competency-Based Therapy
- Putting Brief Services to Work in Your Agency: Service Delivery Mechanisms
- From Philosophy to Practice: Therapeutic Approaches that Fit
- Research and Evaluation in Brief Services: Linking evidence-based practice to practice-based evidence
- The Youth Perspective on How Brief Services Can Help
How to use these modules – if you have limited experience with Brief Services
If you have no background in Brief Services or have some exposure, but aren’t yet able to use it in practice, we recommend you view all modules in order.
By the end of the six modules, you will have a solid knowledge base in Brief Services. To turn this knowledge into the skills required to incorporate Brief Services in to your practice, you will need further training that focuses on practicing the techniques in a safe setting and receiving expert feedback on your performance.
Should you wish to pursue further Brief Services training, The Hincks-Dellcrest Centre – Gail Appel Institute offers a full suite of courses in Brief Competency-Based Therapy. Many of the courses are offered by Karen Young and Jim Duvall, the authors of the e-learning. Click here to view the catalogue.
How to use these modules – if you have prior experience with Brief Services
Start the course
Click on the puzzle pieces below to launch each module. If you close the module before completing it, you will be able to start where you exited the next time you launch the module, provided you are using the same computer. Each module contains navigation instructions – make sure you read all the instructions carefully and refer to the FAQ page if you have any issues.
In order to view the module contents, the system requirements are as follows. You’ll need Flash Player 10 or later, and one of the following browsers: